Thursday, August 7, 2008

Crockpot Chicken=Dinner for 3 days!

I got this idea from my cousin and it's wonderful! So I'll just copy most of her text. I love this, because Richard is not very good at feeding himself, unless it is 'ready to go'. And because I'm not home every night, this was a great way to have an actual dinner set aside, without very much effort at all.

It all began with a crock pot, a jar of salsa and a bag full of chicken breasts. I added them all together and cooked on low for 8 hours.
NOTE: I DIDN'T ADD A WHOLE BAG--JUST 4 PIECES, AND IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 5 1/2 HOURS TO COOK. THIS WAS THE PERFECT AMOUNT, MAYBE EVEN JUST A LITTLE BIT TOO MUCH FOR JUST THE 2 OF US.

Then - I shredded the chicken and could make three different things:

Chicken Quesidillas
Cheese
green peppers/yellow/red
Onions
Tomatoes
Chicken

I like to cook the onions and peppers in butter ahead so they are a bit soft. Then I butter a tortilla and layer it in a frying pan with a combo of any of the above toppings - add another buttered tortilla on top and cook on low! Turn only once. You dont want to burn the tortilla before you melt the cheese (it is what amateurs do). If you are an amateur - try putting them on a baking sheet and baking them in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted (about 14 mins). Serve with guacamole and sour cream.

Sunset Chicken Enchiladas
3 cups shredded skinned cooked chicken
2 cups sour cream
About 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz.)
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use way less)
12 corn tortillas
1 jar (16 oz.) salsa

1. In a bowl, mix chicken, sour cream, 2 cups shredded cheese, and the salt.
2. Heat oil in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over low heat. Dip the tortillas, one at a time, in the hot oil just until limp, about 5 seconds. Let them cool in layered between paper towels. (Or I just use flour tortillas and skip this part because I have an aversion to corn tortillas).
3. Fill tortillas equally with chicken mixture, roll up, and arrange side by side, seam down, in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Pour salsa evenly over the top (I actually mixed 1/2 salsa and 1/2 green enchilada sauce and it was pretty good too).
4. Bake in a 350° oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. If desired, sprinkle more shredded cheese over hot enchiladas before serving.



Chicken Burritos
Beans of your liking
Shredded lettuce
Tomatoes
Cheese
Chicken
Avocados
Onions
Sour cream
Salsa

Put out bowls of everything and let everyone create their own.

Yum, Michael is ready to eat! :)

2 comments:

Layla said...

So I love crockpots and especially the chicken with salsa. I do this to mine: Chicken breast, Salsa, and 1/2 packet of taco seasoning. Cook as usually and shred. After that add a cup of corn and 1/4 cup of sour cream. Add to tortillas with some cheese and viola! One of my favorites!

Autumn said...

This was great for today. Our freezer stopped freezing last Friday so I had to throw everything our. I salvaged the bag of chicken, and it thawed in the freezer until today. Stuck the whole bag in the crockpot with one jar of medium pace salsa and it's perfectly seasoned and cooked. We'll use it all week. Thanks Diana!