Thursday, March 18, 2010

Leek Potato Soup


This recipe is very simple, and pretty tasty. If I had bacon bits, I would've topped the soup off with them (for extra color, and a different flavor). I made my soup by combining two different recipes and creating my own. Some soups call for more spices, but I kept it simple with just salt and pepper and just a little bit of basil.

Potato Leek Soup
1 Tbsp Butter
2 large leeks (for tips on how to properly cut leeks click here. BTW, my leeks were much larger than the one pictured here, so if you use small leeks like this, then I suggest using 3 for the soup.)
1 lb potatoes (abt 3-4) peeled and cut into quarters. (We used red)
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 -2 cups water
salt & pepper to taste

1 Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan. Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown leeks! Browning will give leeks a burnt taste.
2 Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are pretty soft. Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan, or do the entire soup for less chunks.

That's it! Serves 4-6 I served ours with crusty garlic bread. Croutons would work well too!
Bon appetit!

No comments: